Sunday, August 16, 2015

Melted Silk

Any of you who read my post on toasted scarves know that I like to post my fails as well as my successes.  Learn from my mistakes!

Here's what happened.  I had a square of silk which I had dyed dark brown with the idea of experimenting with resists.  The silk did not react as I expected it would, so I thought I should up the ante.  In the previous I had used a 50% solution of bleach.  This time I went up to about 80%.

I folded the silk and clamped it between two jar lids, shibori style.

Then I submerged it in the bleachy solution.  I was initially pleased, because I could see that the exposed fabric was finally losing its dark color.  On second thought, however, I wondered what was going on to cause the clamped fabric to foam.  Look carefully: That was a glassy surface before I dunked the bleach in.  Now it looks like it's boiling!


Oh, well.  I remove the fabric and rinse it in plain tapwater.  The color is gorgeous!


Unfortunately, when I opened it up, I discovered that the bleach solution had damn near dissolved the silk  It came apart in my hands as I was spreading it out to see the results!


Note to self:  When working with silk, leave the bleach at home.  

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you stumbled onto how to do a burnout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking that! The fabric they sell you to do burn-outs with must be part silk, part synthetic!

      Delete